It is important to lead by example when it comes to nutrition in children. Remember, children are easily led so they will repeat the actions they see. It is also important to understand that children have no control over what they eat so as parents/guardians you need to help them.
Ways to encourage children to eat healthy
Healthy eating starts at home. Parents have to eat healthy around children for them to follow suit
Make healthy eating fun. Making fun shapes or animals out of food will encourage children to eat healthier
If your child has a sweet tooth – encourage more fruit consumption rather than sweet and chocolate consumption
Add sugar free cordial/fruit to water to make water more consumable
Educate your kids. When they are sitting down, tell them about what they are eating and why? Soon, they will become more inquisitive and want to know more
Encourage your kids to help you with cooking. They are more likely to consume the food having helped out
Tips to give kids treats but healthier versions:
- Try a sparkling water with no added sugar cordial
- If they are active and need a sports drink, why not make your own
- Make homemade sweet treats with dates, honey and dark chocolate
- Buy ‘Propercorn’ or make your own popcorn instead of buying popcorn in the cinema. This will also save your pocket.
- Smoothie ice lollies during warm weather are a great alternative to sugar ridden ice creams
- Greek yogurt with warmed berries is a great alternative to sugary yogurts
Next Week: Hydration